Grade Level Offerings
The Early Childhood Education Center helps our youngest students embark on their learning careers in a safe, loving atmosphere. Our program consists of the following:
- Mom and Tots: Offered Tuesdays OR Thursdays 10:20-11:20 a.m. for moms (or caregivers) and tots (12 month walkers-3 year olds). Classes run 11/27-3/2. Contact the office to learn more at email@example.com
- PK3’s Program
- PK3/4’s Program
- Pk4’s Program
- Senior Kindergarten
Our preschool program (PK3) sets the foundation for a nurturing Catholic education. Based primarily on creative play, these students are introduced to the Second Step Curriculum, a widely used, research- and evidence-based approach to elementary education that increases academic achievement, decreases problem behaviors, improves social skills, and leads to more high-quality instruction.
We have expanded our offerings for our three-year olds by creating a mixed age class of three and four-year olds that offers full and half day options in a five day week.
Our PK4 program offers four-year-olds a nurturing, Catholic environment for creative play, socialization and independence, building upon our three-year old experience.
The Senior Kindergarten (SK) provides a similar environment but with a stronger academic focus. This full-day program includes mathematics, writing, reading, social studies, science, physical education, music, art, religion and French. Although their facility is self-contained with its own campus and playground, our younger students also enjoy access to the larger school for special activities and events.
Illinois Age Requirements
- Students entering Pre-Kindergarten 4 must be 4 by August 31 of the school year
- Students entering Kindergarten must be 5 by August 31 of the school year
- Students entering First Grade must be 6 by August 31 of the school year
We have designed our curriculum based on students’ needs, offering a number of programs that greatly enhance the educational process.
- Wonders (McGraw-Hill) Reading Series wasrecently adopted in grades K-5. This new series was built around the new Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and provides support for building a strong reading foundation, accessing complex text, finding and using text evidence, engaging in collaborative conversation, and writing to sources. Students in grades 6-8 receive reading instruction and comprehension skills through a student anthology as well as novels. Reading and writing is taught across all content areas.
- University of Chicago “Everyday Mathematics” hands-on program is utilized in grades K-3, while a traditional (Houghton Mifflin) program is used in grades 4 and 5. This traditional program solidifies foundational skills necessary to make the transition into algebra and pre-algebra smoother for our students in grades 7-8. We offer Honors level math courses in grades 5-8.
- Second Step Socical Emotional Curriculum (SEL) is delivered to students in grade PK-8. The program features developmentally appropriate ways to teach core social-emotional skills such as empathy, emotion management, problem solving, self-regulation, and executive function skills such as planning, organizing, strategizing, paying attention to and remembering details, and managing time and space.
- French and Spanish classes, which begin in Junior Kindergarten, give students an early start in exploring other cultures and in understanding their own roles in global society.
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math). This inquiry-based approach to education integrates each of these content areas to build problem solving, critical thinking, innovation and creativity among students. Students will increase their understanding of global issues by collaborating with students across the globe to solve real world problems. In addition, it will increase their understanding of global issues.
- Music and art classes, as well as the Spring Art Show, represent an integral component of every child’s curriculum and offer students the opportunity to express themselves creatively in tangible media. Across our curriculum, we are committed to applying best practices and implementing the most effective programs for the education of our students.