Pre-Kindergarten Essential Questions
- How do we develop pre-literacy skills in early childhood?
- Demonstrates how pictures and symbols have meaning.
- Identify letters including those found in their own name
- Demonstrate letter-sound relationship
- Retell information from a story.
- Use pictures and context to predict what will happen next
- Use scribbles, approximations of letters, or known letters to represent written language
- Relate prior knowledge to new information
- How do we develop basic mathematical concepts in early childhood?
- Recognize and name basic shapes
- Count with understanding
- Sort and classify objects
- Participate in activities that involve addition and subtraction
- Demonstrate a beginning understanding of measurement
- Recognize, duplicate and extend simple patterns
- What are the fundamental concepts of science?
- Ask engaging questions about the environment
- Encourage problem solving
- Use simple tools for measurement
- Ability to group objects
- Identify shapes and patterns that are found in nature and man-made environments
- Discuss differences between living and non-living things
- To make comparisons between materials
- Demonstrate basic safety practices
- How do children interpret and make sense of the world around them?
- Describe rules that help children treat each other fairly and help each other, such as sharing and taking turns
- Describe family and community traditions
- Discuss how people live together in a community
- Talk about people who help others in our community
- Identify types of weather, such as sunny, rainy, cloudy, snowy, and windy
- Describe the four seasons.
- Who is God?
- Show basic understanding that God made me, loves me and is always with me
- Understand that God created the world, and that He cares for his creation
- Show basic understanding that God’s son, Jesus, loved us and died for us
- Identify the Bible as a special book that tells us about God and Jesus
- Show understanding that God is our Father and we are all His children
- Identify Mary as the Mother of Jesus
- Identify the Church as God’s home
- How is melody created?
- How does music communicate?
- How is sound organized to make music?
- What is steady beat?
- Why does each voice and instrument have its own timbre?
- What are the benefits of a parachute?
- Why do we play tag games?
- How do you kick a stationary and rolling ball?
- How do we play a relay race?
- How do we play safely?
- How can you make your body move?
- How do you shoot a basket?
- How do you pass a basketball?
- What is gymnastics?
- How do we play soccer safely?
World Language (Spanish)
- Where is Spanish spoken in the world?
- How can I improve my listening skills?
- How can my body language complement what I am saying?
- What can I do to sound more like a native speaker?
- How can singing Spanish songs strengthen my use of Spanish vocabulary?